Saturday, June 2, 2012

No Grain, No Gain?

So... based on my own knowledge of paleolithic hunter-gatherers and neolithic agriculture the original plan was for us to include some unprocessed natural whole grains in our diet at the end of summer and into fall.  These would be 'ancient' grains lacking gluten etc. Then Linda wrote to one of the 'paleo-diet gurus' that we think well of and asked about this.  He told her that our HG ancestors didn't harvest significant amounts of grain so don't do it.  Based on that I decided that I had better do a little research and to keep an open mind about whether or not to include grains in our diet. So I did.  This is what I discovered-
  I need to do more research.  First off the latest findings from Gobekle Tepe,  possibly the oldest known neolithic civilization dating to 12,000 years ago, is that there is evidence of bread and beer making.  They are very carefully not yet saying that these people cultivated wheat but it looks likely to me based on their findings so far. Google it- it's fascinating stuff!  Evidence is that this was a mature culture- they did not randomly pull their artistic conventions, rituals, building methods etc. out of nowhere; the culture that created Gobekle Tepe could be 15,000 years old or even older.., Ok that is just speculation but it's not unreasonable speculation.
  Recent evidence suggests preparation and consumption of grain 20-30 thousand years ago and perhaps as long as 200 thousand years ago. If our paleo peeps did do this though they did it in season... late summer or fall.  We'll tentatively stick to that plan for now but keep an open mind and do... you guessed it, more research.  Which we will naturally share with you.
  Whether or not to 'let them eat cake' so to speak is only one of many controversies surrounding primal or paleo diets and of course we are looking carefully at these arguments.  Grain or no grain, lean versus fat, salt or no salt... you would think that something called 'Primal' would be simpler!  The thing is not all of our paleolithic ancestors ate the same things.  In the far North they either herded animals or simply followed the herds and hunted them- there is some controversy over which. These ice-age folks had very, very short summers and even then 'summer' was a relative term.  Their diet seems to have run heavily to meat and fat. On the other hand people in tropical and sub-tropical regions seem to have eaten a lot more fruits, vegetables, tubers and even perhaps grain with only modest amounts of meat.  Cultures in-between were... well, in-between in their meat-to-vegetable ratios.  So it's likely that there is no single right way to do it and some of it may depend on your ethnic background. Or not.
  My ancestors have been in the melting pot for a long time so I am very much a 'mutt' genetically.  I am finding that 30-40% protein/ 60-70% vegetable ratio is working for me.  Linda is ethnically mostly  British and her mix is closer to 50/50 and that seems to be working for her... but it's early days so we'll see how that works out in the long run.
 The point is you are likely to have to fiddle a bit to find exactly what works for you.  The one thing that everyone seems to more or less agree on is that fewer carbs is better for weight loss but there isn't even a 100% consensus on that as long as the carbs are 'primally sourced.'

Our Primal diet, like life itself, remains a 'Work in Progress.'  We'll keep you updated!

 

3 comments:

  1. Tinker,

    I'm a tad skeptical about the whole "Paleo" diet, you're not the first I've heard to espouse it. While a mere 10K or so of ag might not seem like much in an evolutionary sense, it's long enough to make some changes. The increase and subsequent decline of diabetes in Western Europe after the renaissance introduction of refined sugar and distilled alcohol, with the recent uptick associated with HFCS come to mind.

    That being said, the elimination of refined sugar, white flour, white rice and HFCS and the associated toxic soft drink chemicals are all huge improvements in your diet; good on you.

    We're sticking mostly with the mediaeval peasant diet here. Whole wheat flour, potatoes (late period, but we can grow them in the garden and don't have acreage for grains) vegetables, fruit, dairy products, eggs (from our ducks and chickens) and small amounts of dead animal products and sugars (biggest amounts with my tea, or when Dianna makes jam or pie). Primarily use a 50% olive oil and butter mix as a spread, olive oil for cooking. I crab and clam in season, still need to work on catching fin fish. Our beef is local grass fed, either from on island or through one of my sister in laws massage clients. Other meat is still Costco, regrettably. Each year we try to produce a bit more ourselves.

    Glenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Glenn;
    Honestly I think that any diet that cuts out the refined sugars, refined starches and chemicals is bound to be beneficial; takes stress of the organs and lowers blood sugar fluctuations, insulin resistance etc..

    Yes, 10-12K of agriculture have made some changes. Civilization for one thing! I have a suspicion that with modern grain, even whole grain, the fact that it is often genetically engineered and chemically altered may have more to do with the 'problems' with grain than human evolution does. Genetic engineering via selective breeding is one thing; directly altering the DNA in the lab is just begging for a black-eye from the Law of Unintended Consequences...

    Honestly as long as it works, we feel better and lose weight that's what matters to me. Odd that you mention fishing... I'm going deep-sea fishing with my Dad for my birthday for the first time ever week after next. I haven't fished for 30 years and I am really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pardon me, I should have said, "Any BALANCED diet that cuts out..."

    ReplyDelete