Tuesday, July 3, 2012

"So Tinker- how's that 'Caveman' diet going?"

Now that we've been at this for a bit let's look at the results.  In my first post I said that I had already lost eight pounds but we'll not count that so I started this blog at 300lbs and 49 years old.  I have since turned 50 years old and am down to 'around' 290 lbs (no reliable scale available ATM.) With my waist being measured across the belly-button and fully relaxed it measured an appalling 57 inches in late May.  Yesterday it measured 52 inches so in 38 days of 'Primal Dieting' I have lost ten pounds and 5 inches off of my waist.  Color me a happy camper.

Mind you- this is with only a microscopic increase in my levels of exercise and without ever going hungry; in fact I have felt like I was stuffing myself with good food.  But there have been other less quantifiable benefits as well.  We feel better, we have more energy and are taking fewer naps.  We no longer have sugar-drops or 'afternoon doldrums.'  I have fewer attacks of depression (I suffer from clinical depression related to PTSD) and am sleeping better.  We used to suffer from upset stomachs frequently; we'd go through a large bottle of 'Extra-Strength' Tums at least every month. The bottle that we bought in early June is virtually untouched.  Clothes that I haven't been able to wear in a year now fit.  We usually eat two meals a day now- breakfast and dinner- with a snack of fruit and/or vegetables in the mid-to-late afternoon instead of a large lunch at midday.

So the Primal Diet seems to be working despite our best efforts to the contrary... I have to tattle on us a bit; we have been less faithful to our diet than we might be.  We've been cheating on the diet about once a week to the tune of a couple doughnuts each or a candy-bar or two.  Hey, we're only human... Last week we wound up getting hung-up with friends and got too hungry to wait for dinner so we went to McDonalds on the way home.  After weeks of wholesome foods the results were quickly evident... the next morning I had diarrhea and was unusually hungry.  I'm not a medical professional but there was a pretty direct causal link there.

Contrary to our expectations our grocery bill has not increased a great deal.  We are still buying a lot of 'Big Agriculture' supermarket produce and meats but we are always on the look-out for local and natural outlets to replace these products. The transition is ongoing...

At this point I am quite happy with our progress and the results.  Ook Ook!

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting! I'm 3 days into paleo and having similar results... more energy/less stomachache. I can't say I've lost any weight yet, as it's only been three days. :P

    ReplyDelete