| Breakfast- eggs, fresh organic tomatoes, Walla Walla sweet onions and organic spring greens |
Had my latest check-up and a battery of tests at the VA last month, and the results are in. Despite smoking, being overweight and 54 years old I am... wait for it... quite healthy.
I have been eating a diet with a lot of fatty meats and lots and lots of eggs. My cholesterol is good. My blood pressure is down to a quite healthy level, my heart sounds great. I also had lost at least ten pounds, though without a starting point I cannot say how much more. This is somewhat contrary to the conventional wisdom... I have also not been eating processed carbs, grains and have been eating chemical-free and organic as much as possible.
Coincidence?
Some, for sure. Or rather the operation of other factors not taken into account. Genetic background can influence these things, except my genetic background suggests I am vulnerable to heart disease and Type II diabetes. I don't know if my diet is responsible, but it sure isn't hurting.
I've had some set-backs the last couple of weeks. Two of our dogs succumbed to old age and needed to be put down. We had to get rid of a car because the payments were killing us, and finances dictated we needed to eat cheap. Circumstances made comfort food not merely a desire but a necessary evil. I'm getting back on track now though, and actually seem to have lost some more weight; we really need to get an accurate scale, but my clothes are looser and if I suck in my gut it actually makes a difference!
Since man cannot live by bread alone we're working on more than our diet; we're getting out and socializing and making an effort to be more active. Of course the latest patch to World of Warcraft comes out tomorrow, which will sabotage those efforts somewhat...
Anyway, getting back on track and feeling good physically. More tips and recipes to follow!
No comments:
Post a Comment