Sunday, June 26, 2016
Easy Fresh Salsa
A Primal diet isn't really about eating like a caveman; it's about avoiding chemicals, sugars and grains (mostly) while focussing on fresh foods that are as organic and natural as you can manage. A lot of familiar foods can be fit into this formula. Salsa can be used as a garnish for meats, and ingredient for omelets and scrambles, even as a salad dressing. Useful stuff! This is my recipe for an easy fresh salsa, and I doubt that it is unique; the basic ingredients are pretty simple after all.
3 medium Tomatos
1 large Jalapeno pepper
3 large Green Onions
1/2 Walla Walla Sweet Onion
1/4 cup Vinegar
1 TBS Lime juice
Slice and dice tomatoes. Slice Jalapeno Pepper in half, remove and discard seeds, then slice and dice. Split the whites of the Green Onions, then chop them fine. Include the greens, too! Peel WallaWalla Sweet Onion, cut in half and dice 1/2- save the other half for later. Combine ingredients in a bowl, add Vinegar and Lime Juice. Mix well.
You can of course serve this salsa immediately, but I find it's better to refrigerate it overnight to let the acids break it down slightly and combine the flavors. This is a good 'base' recipe, and you can do all sorts of things with it. Add more, less or different hot peppers. Try Red Onion instead of a Sweet Onion. Add some Bell Pepper, or Tomatillos. Change the proportions to taste. Whatever you like, really; there's not a lot in the way of rules.
So, how's the diet going? Well, we're still eating down the 'bad' foods; we wound up having Pasta this week because it was easy and we needed to get rid of it. Still, Linda says that I am losing weight, and I had to tighten my belt so it seems to be working. Unfortunately I'm still pegging the scale at 310lbs. It's not a fast diet, but frankly that's probably better anyway; lose the weight gradually as I get back in the habit of eating well. I have a routine Doctor's appointment tomorrow, so there will be a weigh-in there and I'll get an idea of where I am at.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment